Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Victory Garden

This is my little Victory Garden!!! I got a lot planted today, just a few more things tomorrow and I will be done!!! We have 6 raised beds for planting.
 (notice that Maddie got a hair cut!!)
I put in 12 tomato plants, green beans, cilantro, cucumbers, several pepper plants, green onions, beets, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and cabbage. Feels so good to get this part done!!!
This bed has cucumbers on the right, tomatoes and lettuce on the left.
This is how I do my tomatoes. I didn't get all of them done, but tomorrow is a new day. SO, I get the tomatoes in the ground, then cover the soil with one layer of newspaper, then cover that with old dry cut grass. I didn't use any weed n feed in the grass, so it is free of chemicals. Doing this helps retain moisture, keeps the weeds down to a minimum, and helps to keep the soil warm!!!
Here's all the cabbage and broccoli. They are planted pretty close, this is a test to see how they do. The soil in this bed isn't so good, so my hopes are not really high for a fabulous crop. I need to amend this one in the fall for sure!!

My fountain in the pond!! Our son Drew build the little fountain for me several years ago. Beyond the wattle fence is the Victory Garden!!!
Take care everyone!!! Enjoy the Earth and I will see you later!!! Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(