Sunday, June 19, 2016

Fishing and Crabbing in Newport Oregon

This is Newport Oregon. It is a beautiful place to visit and has a TON of things to do.
This photo is our arrival back to Newport from a day of fishing and crabbing!!!
We booked a charter fishing trip with friends on the MISTY through Tradewinds Deep Sea Fishing in Newport. They have several fishing vessels to choose from.
 The crabpots for all the boats. I think we had 14 crabpots in total!!
We are about ready to set "sail".
 Flora, Mark and Bobby ready to go fishing!!!
 My husband Briese :^) The cabin was very roomy, several tables to sit at inside and two bathrooms!!
 Brother-in-law Marc outside on the deck waiting to depart. We were there by 6 am and I think we departed around 7.
 And we're off!! That is Justin on the right. I really never had a chance to talk to him previously but there's lots of time for chatting when you are heading out to sea. Found out that he grew up in Warrenton, just a few miles from Astoria where I grew up. He's the same age as our son Drew and his mom worked at the same hospital in Astoria where my mom worked. Small world indeed!!!
 Our crabpots all baited and ready to throw out in deeper water.
Our captain explaining how to put the lifevest on in case of a sinking which has never happened to him. That was comforting!! Our ocean is cold and you wouldn't survive long in it!!!
 That is Newport-the Bayfront-in the background.
 The Newport Bridge-AKA Highway 101. Notice how smooth the water is. It wasn't that way for long once we got out on the ocean!!!
 Leaving the Yaquina Bay. That's Flora sitting, Willy is in the plaid shirt and my husband is on the right with the beard :^)


  Marc took a photo of me on the boat so I could prove to everyone that I really did go out and fish!!! I'm glad I had my rain gear as it poured on us at one point. We still were on the deck fishing!!
 It takes awhile to get out of the bay and to the fishing spot. Notice the fishing poles ready to go!!?? We learned how to switch the reel from right hander to left hander for me!!! Always the difficult one!
Getting close to the outlet or bar as we call it. There is a rock jetty on the right that goes way out. We saw people on the rocks fishing.
 My catch so far. I ended up with four fish and my husband two!! Glad I had on my gardening boots, No fun having wet feet and with the rain I would have been soaked!!!
 My fishing buddy, my husband :^) We were moving to another spot so waiting for the captain to tell us when to commence fishing.
 We were heading back in at this point. Notice all the smiles. We all had fun. It was a bit on the cold side but didn't damper out spirits. From left, Marc, Briese, Willy, Flora.
Heading in. There were some pretty good swells in the ocean so holding on was a must otherwise a fall was well predicted.
 Waiting for a crabpot to be hooked and pulled in. It took two people to do it. No way was I going to be able to pull it in. Very heavy and full of crab. Briese and Mark are waiting for their turn to pull.

 Briese above pulling the rope up, and Mark, below, pulling the line in. Very Hard Work!!!


 Our deckhand then pulls the pot in and over the rail. Look how many crab are in that pot!!!
 Our other deckhand empties the pot while the other measures them, below photo.

 Measuring the crab and throwing them into the container. The smaller ones get tossed back in the water. We actually limited out and left two crabpots out to pick up later with the next group. That ended up being 12 crabs per crabber.
 My husband in the front, I think it's called the bow, but I will have to check on that. You would think I would know that lingo since I grew up in Astoria, but I don't!!!

 And again, arriving back to Yaquina Bay, Newport Oregon!!

The rewards for a day of hard work. Crab Cocktail. YUM!!!

All in all, it was a good day on the ocean with good friends :^) 
Lesson learned: Listen to your gut instinct. If you tell yourself eating that trail mix doesn't sound like a good idea, it probably isn't. And that makes the rest of the trip a little hard to stomach!!

Take Care Friends. 
If you ever get a chance to go to Newport Oregon, check out the fishing opportunities!!!

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(